Thursday, April 11, 2019

Day 11 NAPOWRIMO APRIL 2019 MY ORIGIN - A LONG STORY

Day Eleven

DAY 11
NAPOWRIMO APRIL 2019
Prompt: My origin

MY ORIGIN - A LONG STORY

Well I was the much desired child welcomed open handed joyously in the family
I was a girl child, the much awaited daughter born after two sons, elder died in infancy
Quite the opposite of what we were used to hearing in the news and among the local gossips
The girl child buried alive! The girl child drowned in milk!
On the contrary mine was a celebrated birth, my father was ecstatic
Not to mention I was the privileged and pampered one as I was always favored by my father
Much to the frustration of my only brother
Why do you always favor her Papa? He would ask him many a times
She is your younger sister, you should not feel hurt or jealous and take care of them, I had two more sisters after me, the youngest one born in Bangkok, Thailand
My father was way ahead of times there was no gender bias no issues at all
Needless to say I ardently adored him following him around like a forlorn puppy
I grew up being an equal to all humans because I was never told to be otherwise
I looked like a tomboy as I wore clothes like boys he always brought us St. Michael jeans Marks & Spencer now from London for both me and my brother
It was usual of my wearing jeans those days I am writing about 70’s and 80’s when it was unheard of in those years the girls were confined in back rooms
Movement of girls restricted not to go out alone and meeting with opposite sex a taboo!
My upbringing was very open and broad minded and yes it was also because of the exposure we had while living abroad on several UN assignments my father was posted
Grew up surrounded by various cultures I studied at various International schools in many countries scattered all across the world
I vividly remember I was studying in Delhi X standard, now in retrospect I find it pretty amusing at my ignorance at that time
I was a not so young girl about 17 years old or so when I questioned him about my religion I knew that I was a Muslim nothing more
Papa who are we? Sunni or Shia?
Beta! Why do you ask? What happened?
He had the habit of asking us kids the info where the query is coming from? Etc. So I told him casually my friend asked me and I didn’t know
Again I asked Papa who are we?
Very patiently in a very soft tone he answered in a simple way almost all my queries of growing up years
He said Beta! We are all human beings first and foremost there is no difference irrespective of place or religion It is important to be a good person with good manners
You are born in a Muslim family so you are a Muslim
We are the Syed Sunni Muslims descendants from Ajmer our ancestors came from the Prophets Family
Also there is not much difference from Shia Muslims
Confused and perplexed my next question as I was afraid that I’ll be ostracized now that everybody knew
Papa I love all my Hindu and Christian friends! And my best friends are Anshu and Sarah!
Beta! Religion is personal, it unites people doesn’t divide people
With a sigh of relief I go on making friends with all till date.
Lately there is so much tension in the air in regards to one’s religion I fail to understand the animosity, the hatred increasing among people I am utterly aghast at the inhuman behavior and cruelty exhibited
I find it such a waste of time there is so much more to do in terms of life and living
I have imbibed all the good qualities honesty, humility, compassion and a little bit of resemblance of my wonderful handsome father
I have learnt purity, loyalty and taken a little bit of beauty from my beautiful mother
I am an honest, compassionate and a trustworthy person loved by all
As my father proudly introduced me to everybody meet my daughter, my (Shehzaadi) princess
I remain one so..till date!
Copyright @ Princess Lubna
INDIA
Beta- an endearment for kids
Ajmer- city in Rajasthan
Shezaadi- Princess

No comments: